On November 11, 1959 the
Florida Baptist Retirement Center was chartered as an agency of the
Florida Baptist State Convention. The retirement center was started in
response to a growing need for a senior ministry.
April, 1960 Walter and Elvira Buckingham donated their homestead with 23
acres of land to the state convention to build the senior ministry.
Construction began later that year. In March 1961 phase one of the
building was completed and the first residents were received. By 1963
the congregate living facility was completed and construction of the
independent cottages had begun.
1966 plans were in place to construct a skilled nursing unit. The
skilled nursing unit would allow the ministry to enter into a new phase
of Kingdom work. In August 1968 the nursing home opened its doors.
Finally, in 1992 the final expansion project was completed. At that
time 30 independent living villas and a 17 bed assisted living facility
Today, Florida Baptist Retirement Center offers a complete continuum of
care with 42 independent living units, a 24 room congregate living
unit, a 17 bed assisted living facility and a 24 bed skilled nursing
unit. Although the campus has changed over the years the original
purpose has remained the same; to provide a secure, enriching and
Christian living environment for senior adults where freedom and
independence are encouraged with quality care assured at the time and to
the degree needed.